Madhurya Kadambini means “A row of clouds that pour rain in the form of sweet nectar. Srila Rupa Goswami writes Madhurya means possessing unequaled beauty, charm, and an unprecedented nature in all conditions, in all circumstances, and in all activities. Thus the topmost madhurya is the form of all sweetness, svayam bhagavan Vrajendra Nandan Sri Krsna, who is having four special sweetness. Lila Madhuri, Prema Madhuri, Venu Madhuri, and Rupa Madhuri. The same supreme Lord Krsna reappears in this age as Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu to taste His own four extraordinary Madhuris to the furthest limit and drowned the whole world in a flood of His Prema.
In this sacred book, Srila Viswanatha Chakravarti Thakur has presented in a natural and explicit manner the symptoms of every stage in the development of bhakti from Sraddha all the way to the appearance of Prema as well as explaining obstacles such as offenses that must be abandoned along the way. This great literature is compared to a Lantern that illuminates the path for the practitioner of bhakti. By practically following this sacred text the non-duplicitous practitioner will certainly be able to perceive his own stage of bhakti, his deficiencies therein, and what further actions he must take to advance along the path of bhakti. Moreover, increasing ability and inclination will awaken in his heart to advance in the kingdom of bhakti and ultimately reach the goal prema bhakti to Supreme Lord. So let’s join us and explore the various stages on the pathway of Bhakti to reach the highest destination.
- First shower of nectar – Pre eminence of Bhakti
- Second shower of nectar – Delineation of the first three stages of bhakti (Sraddha, Sadhusanga, & Bhajana kriya)
- Third shower of nectar – Elimination of all impediments to bhakti (Anartha Nivrtti)
- Fourth shower of nectar – Flow of Ambrosia (Nistha)
- Fifth shower of nectar – Realization of transcendental taste (Ruchi)
- Sixth Shower of nectar – Enchantment of the heart (Asakti)
- Seventh Shower of nectar – Flow of devine rapture (Bhava bhakti)
- Eighth Shower of nectar – Absolute fulfillment of the soul’s yearning (Prema Bhakti)
Course Materials: Brief notes on every session
Target audience: Anyone who is studying Gauḍīya Vaiṣṇavism
Assessment Plan: An examination held at the end of the course
Course Requirement: None – Open for all